U9 is for kids born from 01/01/2015 through 12/31/2016.
U9 is for kids aged 7 and 8 years old.
The U9 program follows the guidelines as set forth by the Canadian Lacrosse Association Long Term Athlete Development Plan.
The format for U9 will be:
- The season starts at the beginning of April and goes until the end of June
- Saturdays and Sundays, playing sometime in the morning to early afternoon
- All games and practices will play out of Airdrie, Crossfield and Cochrane
- sessions are 1 hour
- U9 games are 1 hour floor time - 3 - 12min run time periods
- Play full floor
- Play 5 on 5 (with goalie)
- 3 x 3 nets
- What Equipment is Needed?
- Referees on floor to call penalties and explain violations; players who repeatedly commit rule violations will be sent off the floor
- 3 minute shifts
- Contact rule is Place and Push.
- The fall back rule applies when the goaltender is in possession of the ball. All defensive players must enter the neutral zone where they must wait until the ball crosses the restraining line. The goalie must pass the ball to one of the offensive players who must be at least 9 feet from the crease.
- After each goal and the end of each shift, play shall start with the goalkeeper of the team that was scored on or was in possession of the ball at the end of the shift and the defensive players shall fall back to their zone.
- Please consult ALA Regulation 15.16 for full U9 rules.
The purpose of the U9 league is to introduce, emphasize, and develop the fundamental skills of lacrosse. The focus of practices as well as games is to promote an environment that encourages participation, skill development, and overall enjoyment of the game.
Score is kept and entered into the League Management System.